Arsenal Fans Store

Arsenal Fans Blog

Proud to be an Arsenal Fans

ALEX HLEB SLAMS ENGLISH PRESS



Barcelona signing Alex Hleb has blasted the English press over reports he criticised former Arsenal teammate Cesc Fabregas.

"I don't know where they got all this from," Hleb told Spain's Sport newspaper.

"There's a certain type of English press that is worth nothing, that only invents things and this is one of those cases.

"They did it with Cesc and Arsene, inventing things that I didn't say or taking my words and using them out of context.

"I'll explain what happened in both cases so that it is clear for once.

"With Wenger they said we argued and that I was leaving Arsenal because I thought that the team would never win anything with him as a manager and that is absolutely false.

"Arsene knows it because the first thing he told me when I signed for Arsenal was that he didn't pay attention to what the press wrote, that he never read it.

"Arsene is like a father to me and the coach that gave me the opportunity to play for Arsenal and then to sign for Barcelona, I owe him everything."

Hleb continued: "Cesc is my best friend at Arsenal and he knows that everything I have to say I'll say it to his face as I have always done.

"I only said that when Cesc had the ball you didn't know where he was going to put it because he is so good that he can pass it to the left or to the right and the English journalists changed that sentence into a criticism of his way of playing."



Xabi Alonso is set for crunch talks with Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez today.

The People says Arsenal are manoeuvring themselves into the box seat to secure his services. Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has signed French ace Samir Nasri, but he still has another midfield void to fill.

But Denilson has urged Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger to keep his chequebook closed and give him a chance in midfield.

The Brazilian midfielder told The Sun: "I have two main objectives this season - to be in Arsenal's starting XI and get my first cap for Brazil.

"I am fully fit and ready to go. We have a good team, with a lot of quality players.

"We have the skill, but need a bit more experience in the team.

"I believe in our team and I'm sure Arsenal will be the strongest one this year and win the title."



Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas admits he'd be interested in a future move to Real Madrid.

Reports in Spain suggest Madrid president Ramon Calderon, resigned to missing out on Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo, has prepared a big-money offer for the 21-year-old.

But while Fabregas, a product of the Barcelona youth academy, revealed he could move to Madrid in the future, he insists he wants to stay at the Emirates Stadium for the time being.

"I didn't tell Ramon Calderon no," he told Marca. "I told him that now wasn't the time to go to Madrid.

"That you are wanted by Madrid, one of the biggest teams in history, is important."

And the young star, who feels he would be certain to lift a trophy should he opt for the Spanish champions, admits another season without any silverware could see him head for the exit door.

"To be four seasons without winning any titles would be too much for me," Fabregas added.

"Real Madrid are the favourites to win La Liga this year."



Newcastle United goalkeeper Shay Given could be sold this summer, it has been revealed.

The News of the World says the Republic of Ireland No 1 has been linked with a move to Arsenal and has told friends is keen on a switch to the Emirates.

Given, 32, has three years left on his current £55,000-a-week deal and is among the highest earners at Newcastle behind Michael Owen and Mark Viduka.

Toon chairman Mike Ashley is keen on reducing the club's costs and may allow Given to fulfil his dream of playing in the Champions League with the Gunners.

The former Blackburn keeper has property interests in London and is still desperate to win trophies before his career winds down.

While at the same time Newcastle United have moved for Arsenal defender Philippe Senderos.



The Mail on Sunday says Newcastle have made a shock bid for Senderos, increasing the growing tension between Arsene Wenger and his board over the continuing exodus of players.

Wenger was stunned when the offer of about £4million arrived on Wednesday and even more bemused when it was not rejected out of hand by the club.

Arsenal's board will hold out for about £6m, but their willingness to consider allowing another first-team squad member to leave after four high-profile departures this summer will alarm supporters and Wenger.



Arsenal are also aiming to trump Newcastle for Udinese midfielder Gokhan Inler.

The People says Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has been in contact with the Udinese ace's camp and has learned the clever attacking midfielder has a get-out clause at just over £5 million.

Inler's agent has been in talks with Newcastle for over a fortnight. But now Arsenal have come in the deal will hinge on who offers the best terms.



William Gallas will retain the Arsenal captaincy for the new season.

The Daily Star Sunday says Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has spent the summer contemplating whether to take the armband off his French defender and give it to either Cesc Fabregas or Kolo Toure.

But although he has yet to confirm his final decision it seems that Wenger will choose to ignore the demands from Arsenal fans and officials to replace Gallas.

And the Arsenal manager's mind was made up last week amid news Paris St Germain want to add Gallas to their ranks.



Samir Nasri is convinced his game will come on leaps-and-bounds at new club Arsenal.

"For me, Arsenal are the ideal club when you see the number of players who have gone on to develop there and have proved themselves there," he said.

"It is important to go to a stable club, where there is no revolving door.

"At Arsenal, Arsene Wenger has brought through players, he is French, the team is young, and we know the quality of the atmosphere there. For me it was the wisest choice.



Nicklas Bendtner is determined to be an Arsenal regular this season.

"I know everybody talks about winning things," Bendtner told arsenal.com. "But that is what it is all about this year. I want to try and take a trophy home.

"I do set myself targets [in pre-season]. The main thing for everyone I think is to play a lot and of course I want to get more regularly into the squad.

"Then I want to progress in my own game. I want to prove to everyone what I can do."

"I like their game and the culture of Arsenal's football makes me dream. Last season, I got so excited watching all their matches.

"It is this culture, this way of playing, which in my opinion represents the best things about football."

Nasri is willing to assume a position on the flank, with Wenger always happy to see his wingers drift into the middle.

"I have chatted to Arsene Wenger and I am going to play on the flank since it is there where the playmakers are, doubling up as wingers," he added in an interview with French daily L'Equipe.

"That system suits me. I have played there for four years in the France youth team and also in the senior team.

"The left or the right, it doesn't matter to me."



Arsenal fullback Bacary Sagna is determined to be even better this season.

"When I arrived people told me that the first season would be very difficult and you had to adapt," he told arsenal.com. "But why wait? Why not play straight away?

"I just tried to do my best for the team and I was voted the best right back in the Premier League. But now I would like to achieve other things. Why not lift a cup?

"I know I have to confirm [my first-season form] but I feel confident and good in this team. I want to do a lot of things. I want to score and be more decisive now. I will try to do it."

Twelve months ago, Sagna was a rookie in a position where Arsenal already had options, could he have imagined his first campaign going any better?

"No," he replied flatly. "I did not know anything about English football when I arrived, only what I saw on TV. But I was not scared and adapted very quickly because of my team-mates and work of the staff.

"Everything was good for the first season and I thank the people who helped me. But now I want to fulfil more of my ambitions."


People who read this post also read :




ARSENAL FIRST TEAM 2011-2012

SUBSCRIBE ARSENAL FANS BLOG IN A READER

ARSENAL FC NEWS

PREMIER LEAGUE NEWS

PREMIERSHIP NEWS